- Mentored research: Working with one or more faculty mentors, Fellows will conduct original empirical and conceptual research intended to lead to the publication of at least 2 manuscripts in top-tier peer-reviewed journals.
- Master of Science in Medical Ethics: Depending on their prior training and career goals, ELSI fellows may pursue a Master of Science in Medical Ethics (MSME).
- Fellows’ proseminar: Fellows will participate in a weekly core bioethics proseminar led by the Fellowship Director and other faculty.
- Training in genetic medicine and science: Fellows will participate in Genetic Foundations of Disease at the Perelman School of Medicine.
- Department seminars: Fellows will participate in and present work at department seminars, including sessions focused on works-in-progress and presentations by department and affiliated faculty.
- Institutional review board experience: Fellows will serve as a member of an institutional review board (IRB) at the University of Pennsylvania.
- Clinical shadowing: Fellows will shadow physicians and genetic counselors in various genetics-related clinics at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.